American Citizen Services
The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the Consular Section handles a wide variety of services for U.S. citizens in Macedonia. The ACS unit issues emergency passports, processes passport applications, registers the birth of U.S. citizen children born abroad, provides notarial services, assists with information on voting in the U.S., provides information on Social Security benefits. It also assists U.S. travelers in distress; for example, in acquiring funds from home, in arranging for medical care, or in assisting U.S. citizens who are arrested or incarcerated.
For general information about traveling to Macedonia, please visit the State Department’s Country Specific Information for Macedonia.
In Case of Emergency
If you need immediate assistance after normal working hours because of the death, disappearance, hospitalization or destitution of a U.S. citizen, please call at (02) 310-2000 within Macedonia, or (+389) (2) 310-2000 internationally, and ask for the after-hours duty officer.
You may also contact the Bureau of Consular Affairs of the U.S. Department of State for assistance at 1-888-407-4747 (U.S. toll free number) or at 202-501-4444 from overseas.
Appointment System for American Citizen Services
The American Citizen Services Unit has introduced an Appointment System for all citizen services, including passports, birth registrations, notaries, and general inquiries. Please make your appointment before you visit the Consular Section. Appointments may be made at any time via the Internet through the U.S. Embassy website. For details, or to make an appointment, please click here.
Smart Traveler Enrollement Program (STEP)
Living in Macedonia, or traveling around the globe − American citizens may enroll in the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel updates, assistance in emergency situations, and routine embassy information.
What We Can’t Do
U.S. citizens are subject to Macedonian laws when in Macedonia. Please note that we cannot provide assistance in:
- Obtaining a Macedonian visa or registration.
- Legal Advice. Please see the list of lawyers available on our website.
- Payment of services or bills. We may provide loans in cases of destitution but all loans must be repaid.
- Endorsement or influence in private business matters.
- Acting as your travel agent, bank, lawyer, investigator or law enforcement agent.
- Please do not expect the office to find you employment, get you residence or driving permits, act as interpreters, search for missing luggage or settle disputes with hotel managers.
Alerts and Messages