Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje (September 1, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: Suspension of Consular Services at the Embassy
On August 31, 2020, the Ministry of Interior of North Macedonia reported that three persons were arrested following police operations in Kumanovo and Skopje on suspicion of involvement in terrorist activities. During this operation, police officials also found a large quantity of weapons.
Out of an abundance of caution, the U.S. Embassy in Skopje, North Macedonia will be suspending all non-emergency consular services until further notice. In an emergency please contact the Embassy. The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
U.S. citizens residing and traveling in North Macedonia are advised to always be aware of local conditions and their personal safety preparedness.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Remain informed of current events.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter