Location: North Macedonia
Event: There is a heightened risk of terrorist attacks inspired by extremist ideology in North Macedonia. Terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology are intent on attacking civilians, including U.S. citizens traveling abroad. Terrorists increasingly use less sophisticated methods to target crowds in public places, including pistols, vehicles, and edged weapons.
Terrorist attacks and other security incidents often take place without any warning, and U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance. Extremists increasingly aim to identify and attack “soft targets,” such as: shopping malls and markets, airports, hotels, clubs and restaurants, places of worship, schools, parks, and high-profile public events (sporting contests, political rallies, demonstrations, holiday events, celebratory gatherings, etc.).
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance in “soft target” locations and locations with large crowds.
- U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia
+ (389) 2-310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.