Location: Skopje and land border crossings in North Macedonia.
Event: Demonstration activity in Skopje and increased police presence in North Macedonia
Due to anticipated demonstrations and increased tensions surrounding the commemoration of the 151st anniversary of Goce Delcev’s birth on February 4th, the Ministry of Interior has announced heightened security measures and police presence in the vicinity of St. Spas church (located in the North-East portion of the Old Bazaar), where the event will take place. Police will establish temporary security checkpoints and street closures on Samoilova Street today. There will also be increased police presence at the monuments of Goce Delcev in the City Park, the park across from the Parliament, and the Skopje City Square.
U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to St. Spas Church and the immediate area surrounding the church in the Old Bazaar from Friday February 3, 2023, at 1800 until Monday, February 6, 2023, at 0600.
Additionally, please be aware that there will be an increased police presence at all of North Macedonia’s land border crossings, and heightened security and possible delays should be expected throughout the weekend.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstration and other areas of increased police presence in Skopje.
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia
+ (389) 2-310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll inSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook