Location: North Macedonia
Event: REMINDER: The Air Prishtina flight departing from Pristina International Airport in Kosovo on April 5, 2020 at 11:45a.m. and arriving in Zurich, Switzerland at 1:45p.m. is now available for public booking through the website airprishtina.com or by phone through the Air Prishtina Contact Center at +383 38 222 099.
We are aware of a direct Zurich to Newark, New Jersey flight the afternoon of April 5, 2020. The most current information we have available, as of April 1, 2020, indicates that U.S. citizens may transit Zurich en route to the United States, as long as they can show that they are booked on a confirmed onward itinerary with the United States as the final destination.
The U.S. Embassies in Skopje and Pristina have coordinated with the governments of North Macedonia and Kosovo to enable the transit of U.S. citizens with confirmed tickets directly and solely to the Pristina airport, although the border between North Macedonia and Kosovo remains closed. Transportation from Skopje to Pristina will be arranged on a commercial vehicle. Each passenger will be responsible for payment for the vehicle transportation from Skopje to Pristina.
U.S citizen travelers must email SkopjeACS@state.gov a copy of their purchased itinerary from Pristina to Zurich and onward to the United States by 8 a.m. on Friday April 3, 2020 in order to arrange permission to cross the border.
Health screening at borders and before boarding, at transit locations and at final destinations are the responsibility of the airlines and local authorities and may vary. Travelers should be aware that they may be refused onward travel if they have symptoms of illness such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
Passengers will need to show proof of tickets purchased for each leg of their journey back to the United States in order to board the flight to Zurich. Additionally, you will not be permitted to exit the airport terminal in Zurich due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Remember to book your trip all the way through to your final U.S. destination and check transit requirements for each leg of your trip, as restrictions change frequently. Individual travelers are responsible for verifying transit requirements for their entire itinerary. Keep in mind that unexpected flight cancellations, limited flight availability, and transit restrictions have affected many travelers worldwide. If your travel is disrupted en route, please contact your airline to reschedule.
The below website from the government of Switzerland explains the transit requirements. We recommend you print a copy and bring it with you to show to boarding agents if asked.
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alert to avoid nonessential travel due to coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter