Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (March 24, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: The Government of North Macedonia has implemented restrictions on movement to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Individuals over age 67 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence between the hours of 5 a.m. and 11 a.m. only. Individuals under age 18 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence between the hours of 12 p.m. and 9 p.m. only.
Everyone in North Macedonia is restricted from movement outside their homes or places of temporary residency during the hours of 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., with limited exceptions. People in need of emergency medical assistance are exempted. The Government of North Macedonia has also exempted law enforcement, military, firefighters, medical personnel, and other essential employees from the curfew. Access to transportation, including taxis, may be limited during the curfew.
Additional restrictions on movement may be implemented with little notice.
The U.S. Embassy in Skopje continues to be open for emergency American Citizen Services, including the issuance of emergency passports, and emergency visa services only.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The CDC has issued a Level 2 Global Travel Alert for coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the Ministry of Health website http://zdravstvo.gov.mk/korona-virus/ for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their
- S. Embassy Skopje
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444