Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (July 24, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: Reminder about Border Restrictions and Summer Travel
REMINDER: As travel increases during the summer season, U.S. citizens are reminded that border restrictions or closures at one or more of the land borders between North Macedonia and its neighbors may be implemented with little or no notice. Although North Macedonia’s land borders are now open for travel, some neighboring countries have travel restrictions in place impacting U.S. citizens. For example, with very limited exceptions, U.S. citizens are banned from entering Greece and Bulgaria. Travelers are advised to visit the website of the U.S. embassy located in destination countries for more information on specific restrictions on U.S. citizens:
- COVID-19 update webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Albania.
- COVID-19 update webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Bulgaria.
- COVID-19 update webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Greece.
- COVID-19 update webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo.
- COVID-19 update webpage of the U.S. Embassy in Serbia.
U.S. Embassy COVID-19 information pages and travel alerts for other countries around the world can be found on the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov.
New restrictions on movement or social distancing regulations may be put in place with little or no notice. Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information. We encourage you to use the SkopjeACS@state.gov email to communicate with us.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alert to avoid nonessential travel due to coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter