Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (June 25, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: The Government of North Macedonia Announced That All Borders will be Fully Open as of June 26 and the Airports will Re-open on July 1.
UPDATE: The Government of North Macedonia announced the full opening of North Macedonia’s borders effective June 26, 2020. With the full opening of borders, there are no longer requirements for PCR tests, self-isolation, or quarantine for travelers entering North Macedonia.
The Government of North Macedonia also announced that Skopje International Airport and Ohrid Airport will re-open on July 1.
TAV Macedonia, the managing company for both airports, has announced several new requirements for departing passengers, including arrival at the airport no less than three hours prior to their flights, wearing a protective mask at all times, maintaining social distance, and keeping a high degree of personal hygiene. Travelers displaying symptoms of illness may not be permitted to enter the airport.
As new requirements may be implemented with little to no notice, travelers are recommended to check the websites of Skopje Airport (http://skp.airports.com.mk) and Ohrid Airport (http://ohd.airports.com.mk) along with their airline carriers for the most up-to-date information.
New restrictions on movement or social distancing regulations may be put in place with little or no notice. Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information
Border information and requirements may change with little or no notice. Travelers are advised to monitor the official government websites of neighboring countries for the most up-to-date information regarding their border status and local conditions, including airport operating status. U.S. Embassy COVID-19 information pages and travel alerts for neighboring countries can be found on the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information. We encourage you to use the SkopjeACS@state.gov email to communicate with us.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alert to avoid nonessential travel due to coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter