Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (May 19, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: The Government of North Macedonia announced an extension of the validity of short-term visas as well as temporary and permanent residency permits until August 31, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
NEW: The Government of North Macedonia announced May 18, 2020 that it was extending until August 31, 2020 the permitted period of residence for foreigners whose permission to stay in North Macedonia has expired or will expire during the state of emergency. Foreigners staying short-term in North Macedonia, with or without a visa, may remain until August 31, 2020. The Government of North Macedonia also stated that it was extending the validity of temporary and permanent residency permits until August 31, 2020, including if the permit expired during the state of emergency.
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information. We encourage you to use the SkopjeACS@state.gov email to communicate with us.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alert to avoid nonessential travel due to coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter