Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (April 29, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: NEW: The Government of North Macedonia will implement new curfew hours nationwide for the holiday weekend of Friday, May 1, 2020 to Sunday, May 3, 2020 to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
From Friday, May 1, 2020 through Sunday, May 3, 2020 a nationwide curfew will be in place from 2:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. the next morning. Individuals over the age of 67 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. during the holiday weekend. Individuals under the age of 18 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. during the holiday weekend.
On non-holiday weekdays, the curfew remains in effect Monday through Friday from 7:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. the following day. Individuals over age 67 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence Monday through Friday between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. only. Individuals under age 18 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence Monday through Friday between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. only.
People in need of emergency medical assistance are exempted from the curfew, as are some essential workers such as police, armed forces, health workers, and farmers directly engaged in agricultural work.
Individuals must practice two-meter social distancing in public and wear a protective face covering in closed public spaces, including markets, shops, banks, post offices, health facilities, and public transport, as well as in open spaces where it is not possible to maintain a two-meter distance.
Groups larger than two people continue to be prohibited in public places, except children under age 14 with their parents.
Additional restrictions on movement may be put in place with little or no notice. Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information. We encourage you to use the SkopjeACS@state.gov email to communicate with us.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alert to avoid nonessential travel due to coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter