Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (April 24, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: NEW: U.S. Embassy Skopje is aware of an Air Prishtina flight departing from Skopje International Airport on Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 12:55 p.m. and arriving in Zurich, Switzerland at 3:05 p.m. The Skopje to Zurich flight is available for public booking through the website www.airprishtina.com or by phone through the Air Prishtina Contact Center at +383 38 222 099.
Skopje International Airport remains closed for regular commercial airline flights. The Skopje to Zurich flight is a special repatriation flight coordinated by the Swiss Embassy and made publicly available for individual purchase. We are not aware of any further repatriation flights from Skopje and encourage any U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) who wish to depart North Macedonia to purchase tickets on this flight. The government of North Macedonia has not announced a date for resuming regular commercial flights from Skopje International Airport.
The most current information we have available, as of April 24, 2020, indicates that U.S. citizens and LPRs may transit Zurich en route to the United States, as long as they can show that they are booked on a confirmed onward itinerary with the United States as the final destination. U.S. citizens and LPRs are not allowed to exit the airport in Zurich. There is a direct connection from Zurich to Newark, New Jersey on April 29, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
All travelers are responsible for making their own flight arrangements and verifying transit requirements for their entire itinerary, as restrictions change frequently. Keep in mind that unexpected flight cancellations, limited flight availability, and transit restrictions have affected many travelers worldwide. If your travel is disrupted en route, please contact your airline to reschedule.
All U.S. citizen and LPR travelers who purchase tickets for this flight must email SkopjeACS@state.gov their full itinerary from Skopje to the United States so that we can inform the Swiss Embassy and transit locations. Make sure that your passport and/or LPR card is valid and not expired as you will be denied boarding if you do not have a valid travel document.
Health screening before boarding, at transit locations and at final destinations are the responsibility of the airlines and local authorities and may vary. Travelers should be aware that they may be refused onward travel if they have symptoms of illness such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alertto avoid nonessential travel due to coronavirus.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter