Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia (April 8, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: REMINDER: On Wednesday, April 8, 2020, the Government of North Macedonia implemented an expanded curfew nationwide to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Monday through Friday the curfew is in effect from 4:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. On weekends, a full curfew is in effect from Friday at 4:00 p.m. until Monday at 5:00 a.m.
During weekdays, individuals over age 67 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. only. Individuals under age 18 are permitted to be outside their homes or places of temporary residence between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. only. Additionally, groups larger than two people are prohibited in public places, except children under age 14 with their parents.
People in need of emergency medical assistance are exempted from the curfew, as are some essential workers such as police, armed forces, health workers, and farmers directly engaged in agricultural work.
Additional restrictions on movement may be put in place with little or no notice. Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information
U.S. Embassy Skopje has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information. We encourage you to use the SkopjeACS@state.gov email to communicate with us.
The State Department issued a Level 4 Global Health Advisory on March 19, 2020, recommending U.S. citizens avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global Travel Alert.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of North Macedonia’s authorities.
- Monitor local media and visit the websites of the Government of North Macedonia or Ministry of Health for updated information, including mandatory quarantine measures and travel restrictions which may be implemented with little or no notice.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in North Macedonia.
- Read the Centers for Disease Control’s and Prevention guidelines for the prevention of COVID-19 and information on health conditions in North Macedonia.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Contact the local centers for public health by telephone, prior to visiting a hospital or clinic for medical care, if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. North Macedonia’s Institute of Public Health has provided contact numbers along with other advice for travelers on their website.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje
Str. “Samoilova” Nr.21
Republic of North Macedonia
+389 2 310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter