Embassy Message – U.S. Embassy Skopje (December 4, 2020)
Location: North Macedonia
Event: 2020 Holiday Security Message
As the holiday season approaches, the U.S. Embassy takes this opportunity to remind the U.S. citizen community to maintain good situational awareness and a high level of vigilance while traveling abroad, as terrorist attacks, political violence, and criminal activities often take place without any warning. Violent extremists have focused their attacks on soft-targets such as tourist locations, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, and transportation hubs. See the Embassy Skopje webpage for the latest alerts and messages.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy Skopje’s COVID-19 Information Page at https://mk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/step.html. STEP is a free service that allows U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad to receive the latest security updates from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.