Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia
(July 14, 2022)
Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following locations in Skopje, North Macedonia:
- The Parliament Building of North Macedonia
- The Government Building of the Republic of North Macedonia
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of North Macedonia
- Other Government Buildings in Skopje
Event: There have been ongoing protests regarding the revised French proposal on North Macedonia’s accession to the European Union in central Skopje near the vicinity of the Government Building, Parliament Building, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Skopje. The Parliament will hold sessions on the proposal on Thursday July 14 and Friday July 15. Avoid the vicinities of Government Building, the Parliament Building, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other government buildings as protests can quickly turn violent. Expect traffic disruptions and road closures around these locations and in central Skopje.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Skopje, North Macedonia
+ (389) 2-310-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- North Macedonia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.