You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at the U.S. Embassy Pristina. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview. Please note that in-person interview is required. If you run into any issues related to your online eCRBA application please email: SkopjeACS@state.gov.
A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. For a child born in North Macedonia to a U.S. citizen(s), the child’s parents should contact the U.S. Embassy Skopje to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) electronically. Before scheduling your appointment, please read the instructions below thoroughly. Incomplete applications will result in delays and possible need for a second appointment. If the U.S. embassy determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA in the child’s name. CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For more information, please click here. Information about third party attendance at passport and CRBA appointment interviews is available here.
STEP 6) Pay eCRBA and return by mail fee
There are two applicable fees required for eCRBA processing: ($100) eCRBA fee and (€10) return by mail fee.
You can pay the $100 eCRBA fee through Pay.Gov or if you have issues paying online, you still have the option to pay at the embassy at the time of your appointment in cash or credit card.
- Pay online the eCRBA fee by internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method at U.S. Government’s official payment site Pay.Gov. Important notice: Please note you must allow a minimum of 5 working days between payment submission and eCRBA scheduled interview appointment, or
Pay at the time of your appointment.
- Cash: in Denars or U.S. dollars.
- Credit or debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover or American Express.
Card transactions are made in U.S. dollars and may be subject to additional fees applied by your card provider. Please note that we cannot accept contactless payment of any kind. Please note that there is no expedited services outside the United States.
Issued CRBA return by mail fee
- Return by mail fee (€10) credit card or cash paid directly with DHL. Once you complete your consular service with the Embassy, you will be directed to the nearest DHL office (350m from the Embassy – directions here) to provide your local address and telephone information for CRBA mailing return service. Their working hours are 08:00 -17:00 Monday to Friday.
STEP 7) Book an appointment
Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at U.S. Embassy Skopje. Please allow a minimum of 5 working days between payment submission and CRBA scheduled interview appointment. This provides time for your payment to be processed. If you schedule your appointment before this time, your application will not be available.
When scheduling the appointment, you should make a written note of the following:
- Choose ‘Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport.’
- Book the appointment in the child’s name.
- Print or write down the appointment date and time, confirmation number and password (you will not receive booking confirmation or appointment reminders by email).
You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation sheet on the day of the appointment as your name will be on the access list for that day, although you may wish to keep a copy for your records.
Please ensure that you arrive at the Embassy at the appointed time, otherwise we may be required to cancel your appointment. Each applicant requiring a service must have a separate appointment. Remember to schedule the appointment in the name of your child. Your child must accompany you to the appointment.
If there are no appointments available when you first check the booking system, please keep checking. New appointments are regularly added, including appointments made available from daily cancellations. These appointments can only be booked through the online calendar, not by email or telephone, which is why it is important to keep checking the calendar.
STEP 8) Attend your interview
Attend you scheduled in-person interview with your original documents (must be exactly the same documents with serial numbers that you have already uploaded on eCRBA) and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of the interview.
STEP 9) Processing and delivery
CRBA: It will take approximately four weeks however, these timescales are guidelines only, as some cases may take longer.